Wausau Mayor B.J. Phillips announced at Thursday night’s Council meeting that Senator Gwen Graham was announced she will replace the U.S. flags stolen over the Memorial Day holiday. Phillips said news coverage of the story prompted Graham to reach out to town officials with the offer.
by Kathy Foster
Council members praised new sports program at Thursday night’s Council meeting and indicated they would be behind plans the Recreation Department head James Walsingham hopes to put in place in coming months.
Reporting to the council on the Spring Recreation Program, Walsingham said the department had raised more than $6,700 through the concession stand and donations, and added he would have a full report at the council’s July meeting.
As part of his report he also announced the Rec Department is planning to host a Fall Festival in conjunction with the Fire Department’s annual Haunted House. The festival would include games, food and music, with something planned for all ages.
Walsingham included a Fall Sports Program on his agenda, says that he wants to expand activities available to area young people to get them more involved. As part of these plans, he said the program is in need of coaches and asked anyone interested in coaching to contact him.
Dealing with other agenda items, council members took the following actions:
- Approved payment of Town bills
- Approved Fire Department minutes and training records
- Approved May 13, 2016 minutes
- Accepted water reports into records
- Approved reconciled bank statements and trail balances
- Were informed that Wausau’s “O” Zone team is going to State in July and are holding fundraisers to cover costs.
- Were informed that the Florida Department of Transportation had requested a “wish list” for local area projects.
- Accepted the resignation of Mr. Kerry Collins from the Code Enforcement Committee.
- Were informed the Fourth Avenue SCOP project has been approved for bid and advertising placed. Bids are now being taken with a mandatory pre bid conference set for June. 15th. Bid opening will be July 8. The bid should be let at the July 14th Council meeting.
- Hilton Galloway of Carr Riggs & Ingram will present the 2014-15 audit June 28 at 6 p.m. at Town Hall.